4 applications to chat and send SMS without an Internet connection via a mesh network
These apps are known as “off-network” chat messaging app which works even without an internet connection or 2G, 3G or 4G network coverage, much like the Walkie-Talkie app for iOS and Android. These applications allow you to communicate with each other within a range of up to 100 – 200 meters, it works by broadcasting your encrypted data via WiFi or Bluetooth.
If there is no direct connection between A and C, the application will bounce the message from A to B to C. In short, it is a P2P (peer to peer) software without a central server like WhatsApp, Line, WeChat and Facebook Message . Three good reasons to use the ‘Off the grid’ chat aka Mesh Network. These chat apps can also be used as a walkie-talkie. Works great on Android 8.0 Oreo / Android 9.0 smartphones [ Popsicle, Pancakes ou Pie ] such as Samsung Galaxy, Huawei Mate, Oppo, Vivo, XiaoMi, Nokia, as well as Apple iPhone iOS.
Note: Mesh networking works when 2 or more smartphones are within range of each other. The distance or coverage depends on the signal strength of the smartphone, it varies from model to model. The approximate distance is 100 feet between 2 smartphones.
SEE AS WELL: 6 Popular Email Providers Better Than Gmail and Yahoo Mail
Ideal situation for mesh network chat application
- Group camping or jungle trekking in a remote area where there is no reception.
- During a disaster, flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, etc.
- Mass protest where the government may shut down the internet.
- When your monthly mobile data plan has expired.
- During a natural disaster such as an earthquake, flood, storm, etc., when all the networks and electricity are down.
- On an airplane when you and your friend are not seated together.
- End of the world, in a zombie apocalypse or in a war zone.
01 – Vojer | AppleiOS
Vojer lets you stay connected to nearby friends without 3G/4G or Wi-Fi coverage. Vojer delivers messages from your phone directly to someone else’s phone. No middle servers, websites or bottlenecks along the way. Vojer does not access your address book or ask for any additional permissions except those required to function – WiFi, Bluetooth, microphone and photos (if you choose to share photos).
- Share photos and text
- Send and receive high quality voice
- All Vojer messages sent and received are encrypted.
Bridgefy is an offline messaging app that lets you communicate with friends and family when you don’t have internet access, just by turning on your Bluetooth antenna. Ideal for music festivals, sports stadiums, rural communities, natural disasters, overseas travel and more. The 3 ways Bridgefy works:
- Person-to-person mode – Turn on your Bluetooth antenna and chat privately with friends who are within 100 meters of you.
- Mesh Mode – Chat with people over 330 feet away by connecting through other Bridgefy users found in the middle. Example: Person 1 can talk to Person 3 if Person 2 is in the middle, a possible distance of 660 feet (200 meters). The same goes for unlimited people in the channel. Do not worry! Your messages are safe and cannot be read by people in the middle.
- Broadcast Mode – Go to the Broadcast section and send messages to all Bridgefy users around you at once, even if you don’t have them in your contact list!
03 – Briar | GoogleAndroid
Briar is a messaging app designed for activists, journalists, and anyone else who needs a safe, simple, and robust way to communicate. Unlike traditional messaging tools such as email, Twitter or Telegram, Briar does not rely on a central server – messages are synced directly between users’ devices. If the internet is down, Briar can sync via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, keeping information flowing in a crisis. If the internet is working, Briar can sync through the Tor network, protecting users and their relationships from surveillance. Secure messaging, wherever you are
- Peer-to-peer encrypted messaging and forums
- Messages are stored securely on your device, not in the cloud
- Connect directly with nearby contacts – no internet access required
- Free and open source software
READ ALSO: The 5 Best Free Email Clients for Your Desktop Computer
White Mouse Chat is private instant messaging reinvented; fortified with unparalleled encryption and privacy features, and able to operate without an internet connection between nearby devices (100 meter radius). The app supports; sharing messages, photos, files, videos and voice clips and voice and video calls. There is no storage, monitoring, tracking of any personal information or activity, except those necessary for the operation of the application.
- Configure your messages to be automatically deleted after 1h, 8h or 24h.
- Delete messages/conversations on all devices, anytime.
- Works without internet access between nearby devices.
- posts. No transfer, no screenshots, no screen recording.
- Messages stored only on the user’s device. No cloud or server storage.
- Watermark wallpaper in chat to prevent third party screen shot.
- White Mouse PIN – Login without a phone number.
- End-to-end encryption at the application and network level.
- Listen to audio messages at x2 speed, for those in a hurry.
Continue reading: 15 Most Secure Email Services for Better Privacy