With over a million users, Netflix is still the most popular video streaming service in the world although there are others that stand out from the crowd such as Amazon Prime Video, DisneyMore and AppleTV+.
Sometimes, Netflix, this streaming platform is no longer able to provide French dubbings to its most recent films and series and you have to wait another few months to be able to watch content in French.
But that should not prevent you from watching your film or series on the weekend even if in another foreign language since Netflix offers the functionality of subtitling just like on YouTube or other streaming platform. You just have to know how to activate it!
In general, the platform offers you in its subtitling functionality several of the most relevant languages in addition to the original audio language of the content in question and other audio languages to check if they are available before moving on to subtitling.
How to Enable Netflix Subtitles on Desktop and Web
It’s not just about enabling subtitles but also subtitling for the deaf and hard of hearing as well as even changing the audio to another language if one is available. For it :
- First launch Netflix (Netflix App or Website)
- Choose your series or movie to watch and start reading (Play)
- Depending on your device, to access the subtitling function or to change the audio language to another, perform this action:
– On Netflix for smartphones, tablets and computers, just tap the screen.
– On Netflix for Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, set-top boxes, game consoles, streaming players, press the up or down arrow on the remote.
– On Netflix for Apple TV 2 or Apple TV 3, press and hold the center button of your appletv remote control.
- In the menu that appears, try to locate the dialogue/chat icon (the closed caption icon) at the top or bottom of the screen depending on your device.
- And finally, in the window that opens or slides out, you can choose an audio language for your film or series from the audio languages offered, if not you can choose a subtitle language from the available languages.
And there you have it, I hope this article will still be useful for you to see your films and series in subtitles in the event that dubbing in French is not available.